10 Jun Keepin’ it Green
Kermit the frog may be known for the lyrics “It’s not easy being green” (OK, it was actually a piece of broccoli shouting that out), but here at Newport Ave. Market, we think it’s not only easy but also a great idea.
We’re sending a shoutout to our friends at The Green Spot, who help our local community focus on stewardship, environmental concerns and a whole lotta good stuff.
As a member, Newport Avenue Market has earned badges by making commitments in both the Community and Recycling categories. These commitments include:
- Educate all current staff and new employees with regards to eco-friendly practices
- Educate all customers with regards to eco-friendly options for their purchase
- Market your businesses green efforts by word of mouth, in print and on your website
- Support local community organizations/causes
- Participate in COEC’s Sustainable Business Program
- Utilize goods and services from businesses listed with The Green Spot
- Offers employee benefits such as subsidizing medical insurance premiums and/ or providing vouchers to offset medical expenses and providing retirement benefits, such as 401(k) options, etc.
- Offer discounts to other green businesses
- Recycling program in place for paper, bottles, cans, aluminum, and glass, plastic and cardboard.
- Order in bulk to reduce packaging and use/offer refillable containers
- Packaging is reused to its fullest extent before it is recycled
- Items purchased are reusable, recyclable and/or durable
- Double side all office paper when printing is necessary
- Use recycled content paper including office paper, paper towels and toilet paper
- Participates in a compost program for food waste
- Events hosted follow zero waste guidelines, avoiding disposable items
- Donate items you can’t reuse to thrift stores, salvage yards, food banks, homeless shelters or used equipment stores
- Offer discounts to consumers for bringing their own bags, cups