28 Jul 11 Ridiculously easy ways to make someone’s day
Posted at 18:15h on 28 Jul in Cosmic Karma, What's New
Happiness experts… yes, there’s such a thing (and it’s probably the coolest job e-v-e-r)… tell us that making others happy is a key component to our own happiness. It feels dang good to do good, right? Mother Teresa once said: “Never worry about numbers. Help one person at a time, and start with the person nearest you.” Now, we can’t all be saints. But we can all be kind. It doesn’t take much. In fact, it’s super easy to make someone’s day.
We’ve got a few ideas about how to do that:
- Hold a door open for someone. It sounds so easy, yet how many times have you had a door slam shut in your face because someone wasn’t paying attention? Hold the door. And if someone holds the door for you, say thank you.
- Send a handwritten thank you note. No one receives good stuff in the mail anymore. It’s just bills and fliers and the occasional jury duty notice. Jot down a few words of gratitude on a postcard and slap a leftover Christmas stamp on it.
- Double the tip you leave your server. Instead of figuring out 15% to the penny, be overly generous once in a while. Scribble an amount that raises eyebrows. We know a person that once left a $90 tip for a $40 meal. It left the server stunned and crying because she had to buy an expensive book for a college class and wasn’t sure how to pay for it.
- Surprise your kid with his favorite dessert. Ever notice how dessert is rarely a big deal anymore? What if it was? What if, for one night, you served gummy worm cupcakes? Or a Purple Cow (grape soda ice cream floats)?
- Use the name on the clerk’s nametag. Again, so easy. “Thank you, Frank. You did an awesome job.”
- Sing in your car at stoplights. Belt out some Barry Manilow. Get all soulful with Adele. When people stare, stare right back, grin and keep singing. It’ll catch them off guard and probably put a smile on their face.
- Prepare the coffee maker for the next person. Water level low? Used K-cup just sitting there? Current grounds filtered to death? Start a new pot. Throw away the pod. Add a bit of water.
- Give unusual compliments. It’s easy to say, “Your hair looks great today!” (And you should totally compliment people’s hair, by the way.) But don’t forget to compliment the things that make them unique. “I bet you do crossword puzzles in ink” can go a long way.
- Let someone cut in front of you in line. It’ll be okay. You might wait an extra few minutes. You can do it. And it won’t be the end of the world. We promise.
- Donate a book to one of the free tiny libraries around town. What’s your favorite book? Put a note in it about why you love it so much. Drop it off knowing that a stranger out there will appreciate it. There are several tiny libraries spread around town. Go to www.littlefreelibrary.org/ourmap to find locations.
- Even $5 can make someone smile. You might see the Newport Ave Market street team around town passing out gift cards. Just because. No strings attached. Yep… five dollars isn’t much. But it can buy a beer, a small hunk of cheese or something special from our magical dessert case.
What suggestions do you have for making someone’s day? Let us know in the comments!