How to Holiday with Newport Avenue Market
Here in Bend, we love the outdoors, each other, and great food. During the holidays, that spirit is brimming over right into our aisles. Any day of week, you’ll see lots of holiday greetings, smiles, and hugs happening around the store.
For decades, our market has been at the nexus of what is important to locals and visitors. That’s especially true now, when we get together to savor what’s best about friends, family, and living amid America’s most beautiful forests, rivers, and mountains.
So, when you’re planning your holiday party, no matter how casual or elegant, you’ll want to set the stage with beautiful décor for all the great memories that will be made and remembered for years to come. Don’t feel pressured, though, just come in to Newport Avenue Market, where we make holiday party décor easy and fun. Our employee-owners are experts at helping you create just the right holiday party atmosphere to go with all the fabulous food and wine you’ll find here, too.
With just a few tips, you’re on your way to throwing one of the best holiday parties of the season. And, as always you can special order just about anything from our Floral Department or Housewares Department to help make your holiday party décor exactly as you wish.
Seven Ways and Several Tips to Make Your Holiday Party Décor Functional and Fabulous, from Newport Ave Market[vc_empty_space height=”25px”][vc_row css_animation=”” row_type=”row” use_row_as_full_screen_section=”no” type=”full_width” angled_section=”no” text_align=”left” background_image_as_pattern=”without_pattern”][vc_column][vc_column_text]
1. Bring the Outside In
Here in Central Oregon, we know it’s tough to find a prettier landscape, and that’s why we want to evoke that same beauty inside our homes, especially during the holidays. So, come on in, and we’ll help you bring the outdoors in for all your holiday décor needs, and make it beautiful to boot.
Before you even make it in our front door, our wreaths will catch your attention — the range of styles surpasses what you’ll find elsewhere. It’s the first thing guests will notice when they arrive at your door, too.
Step in to the market, and you’ll be drawn to all the elements for creating a yuletide forest for the mantle or dining table. Cone-shaped trees and garland of faux aspen bark, miniature feathery owls, gold-antlered deer, and even an aspen bark-draped Father Christmas are perfect. A wreath of faux white snowberries looks as if you’d picked the branches along the Deschutes.
2. Choose Your Color Palette
Select a color palette and stick with it. For instance, our aspen-influenced decor with touches of green, silver, or gold offers just the right amount of color.
And, remember, the season offers so much more than red and green. Red on its own, or just green alone each stand out against a white tablecloth, offering a simpler, more sophisticated impact. For instance, consider a centerpiece of crimson roses and berry-laden stems or austere branches with a few silver, gold, or frosty blue ornaments.
Extend the decor of the table to the chandelier above, with garland or trim within your selected color palette.[/vc_column_text][vc_empty_space][vc_single_image image=”24163″ img_size=”full” qode_css_animation=””][vc_empty_space][vc_column_text]
3. Holiday Buffet—Make It Brilliant!
Buffets are a perfect way to serve a lot of guests, but the trick is to keep it looking interesting. Remember, you taste with your eyes first. Here’s how to amp up the effect of your buffet table decor, setting the mood, unifying your theme, and making it a time to remember:
• Add dimension: Use sturdy small boxes or wooden crates which can be covered by tablecloths. Add cake stands to hold glittering candleholders.
• Keep it all within reach: Create different levels to make reaching each dish easy.
• Sparkle: Lights are so much fun, why use them just for trees? Tiny white lights placed under a buffet tablecloth create the effect of a starlit, snowy night. It all adds to the magic, no matter your age.
• Mix it up: Combine our retro and eclectic ceramics or keep it contemporary with clear and geometric vases to hold succulents, eucalyptus, and other greenery our floral experts can help select. For a Zen-like feel, line an odd number of minimalist containers down the middle of a table.[/vc_column_text][vc_empty_space][vc_single_image image=”24161″ img_size=”full” qode_css_animation=””][vc_empty_space][vc_column_text]
4. Make Your Table Green and Serene
When dressing up a table, greenery keeps it down to earth. It’s a lovely accent on a serving tray or side dish. Here are just a few ways to keep it real and fab:
Herbs: Our miniature trees of rosemary, potted in little silver buckets, are fragrant, edible — total rustic elegance. Include these in your table-scape and use them in your cooking all winter long. Don’t stop there. Sage, tarragon and thyme can be decorative as well as garnishes for holiday dishes. Fresh cranberries, juniper berries, and caper berries pop against those bright green herbs, too.
Frosty Goodness: Waking up to a frosty, high desert morning is a thing of beauty, so why not bring that beauty to your table? Try sugar frosting grapes, rosemary, or cranberries, and your palate will sparkle with delight. We’re including one of our favorite frosted recipes below![/vc_column_text][vc_empty_space][vc_single_image image=”24166″ img_size=”full” qode_css_animation=””][vc_empty_space][vc_column_text]
5. Holiday Recipe: How to Make Sugar Frosted Grapes
These decadent little gems will sweeten up even the stiffest of Scrooges.
What You’ll Need:
40 large, unblemished green or red grapes
1/3 cup egg whites (from about 2 eggs)*
5 drops (scant 1/8 teaspoon) fresh lemon juice
2 cups granulated sugar
1. At least 3 hours and up to 5 days before serving, remove the grapes from their stems and place in the freezer. When ready to serve, whisk the egg whites with the lemon juice in a large bowl until frothy. Put the sugar in another bowl.
2. Drop the grapes into the bowl of egg whites, then pour the contents of the bowl through a strainer to drain the liquid. Dump the grapes onto a paper towel and roll them around until most of the excess egg white has been absorbed. Working in batches, add the grapes to the sugar and shake them around to coat. Shake off any excess. Transfer to serving glasses and serve immediately or use as garnish in your favorite holiday cocktail! And, remember, you can always pre-order items—especially during this busy holiday season. Just call or stop by the store.
6. Très Fun Trays
Once our employee-owners have helped you select some delectable hors d’oeuvres and beautiful decor, do your presentation justice with some innovative takes on traditional trays, such as:
• Wood or marble cutting boards
• Large tiles
• Platters covered with French cheese leaves (from housewares)
• Wood planks
• Large mirrors
• Wooden boxes
• Cake stands
7. Let’s Talk About Centerpieces!
Branch out: Branches can be as surprisingly beautiful as flowers.
Keep a low profile: Keep centerpieces on dinner tables low to avoid a tip-over. Glasses, candleholders, and shorter vases of flowers are fantastic options.
Go big: Larger centerpieces work well on buffet tables — when placed behind the food.
Coordinate: Consider using a group of smaller coordinated pieces grouped together to form a dramatic focal point.
Gift: Scatter small centerpieces around your table and give them as gifts to your departing guests.
Happy Holidays, friends!
Remember, Life is short. Eat good food. And, this holiday season, throw great parties!
Now that you know how to make your holiday party décor fun, fabulous, and totally functional, check out our blog on Holiday Party Hors d’Oeuvre and how to keep them stress-free and delicious![/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row]